Saturday, October 2, 2010

Lost Treasure

Isn't it odd how something can be at one time so trivial and yet later on in life can have such a significant meaning.  The other day, I was recently rummaging through my closet shelf on a step ladder looking for a particular book.   As I was looking for this book and moving things around, I accidently knocked over my small  red sequenced  doubled heart shape box and everything spilled out with a crash on my mahogany  floor. 
 "Oh great!" I thought and I  stepped down to look around and see what I had in it.
I picked up the box off the hard mahogany wood floor hoping what ever fell out didn't break; yet to find that there were three bracelets that my sister had made me years ago.  My sister who suffers from MS used make plastic bracelets and sell them at a craft fair in Arcadia.  I slowly kneeled down and carefully picked them up. Clutching the bracelets in my hands, I closed my eyes for a moment.   In my mind I could see and hear my mom and sister stringing beads, making up designs and talking about pricing bracelets for the next craft fair. I could see my sister looking at a craft store advertisement to see if any beads where going to be on sale. When I opened my eyes, I was standing alone in my room, I still had the bracelets in  clutched tightly in my hands and then placed them to my heart.  I didn't realized how much I missed seeing my mom and sister working together and creating these bracelets.   My lost treasures were found! I thought I lost them when we moved to our new home several years ago. I didn't realize how much I missed them until now. At one time in my life when it came to bracelets, I just  wore crystal because I liked seeing the prisms reflex in the sunlight. Those same crystal bracelets now hang in the middle of my bedroom window so as the sun sets my bedroom is filled with prisms.
 When my sister gave me the bracelets, I was happy that she thought of me but didn't really give the bracelets any mind.  I took for granite that my sister and mom would always be around to make them.  
However now, I would give anything to see them in the dining room making bracelets again.  To hear and see them laughing, talking and even arguing as they were preparing for the next craft fair.     How can a simple beaded bracelets bring back such a rush of emotions and memories?  I guess it's not the actual bracelet but the love you feel for the people who make them.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you consider sharing this memory with your sister. I might just be a gift for her, too. Recalling and sharing a beloved memory can also be a treasure found.

    ReplyDelete