Thursday, October 21, 2010

Heaven Isn't Too Far Away

When my 34-year-old sister entered hospice at the end of June 2010.  She was at a point that no drug in the world could cure her and our focus was now on quality of life. During the journey through hospice, we were made aware of several fears my sister had been contemplating on and were brought to our attention by the social worker.
The social worker told us that my sister was afraid of passing away and going into heaven to be ignored and be all a lone.  My sister was worried that no one would talk to her in heaven because she wouldn’t know anyone there. My sister was also worried about who would take care of my mom, dad and me if she left. 
As the social worker talk to us about this, we sat in complete shock!  How could this be?   How can anyone even think that they would be ignored in heaven?  She is worried about us? The social worker explained to us that we needed to try to get my sister to understand the concept of heaven according to our religious beliefs and try to reassure her that we would be fine after she left us. 
After the shock wore off, I started to look for books about heaven on the Internet.  I started calling Christian and Catholic bookstores to see what I could find.  I remember calling a Catholic bookstore in Monterey Park CA and spoke to a woman about our particular challenge.  She told me that she didn’t have any book but to pray to God and ask if He could give my sister a small glimpse of heaven to ease her fears.  “What a beautiful act of faith and compassion!”  I thought as I hung up the phone.
That night and every night after, during my daily time of reflection and prayer I asked God to give my sister a glimpse of heaven.
This past July we had a family gathering to celebrate the welcoming of our newest nephew/grandson and added a birthday celebration to boot!   During the celebration, my sister experienced positive energy, joy and love for all who filled our house.  Pictures were taken through out the day and it was a home filled with family and everyone knew each other. The sharing of laughter, food and family stories of the past were just a few of the highlights of that day.  
The following week I began (again) to try to figure out a way to explain to my sister about heaven. 
As I started my daily prayer, when a idea popped to my mind about heaven so powerful that I needed to share it with my sister.
So, I went to her bedroom and sat next to her hospital bed.  “Hey Kido, how’s it going?” I asked.  She replied, “Fine," as she was watching television.
“You know Mamas, the social worker talked to us about how you feel about heaven.”  My sister’s eyes slowly turned away from the television and looked at me in dismay, I smiled and said, “ Did you ever think that Heaven is like the party we had on Saturday?”  Her eyes widen like saucers and in shock she said, ”You’re kidding”?  “No Mammas, I’m not.  Everyone will now you in heaven, everyone will love you in heaven and everyone will celebrate you in heaven.  Just like everyone knew you at the party.   You will still be able to take care of us, it’ll just be from a different place and you’ll have better access to God since you will be in heaven. Do you believe me?  Please believe me Kiddo.
My sister’s eyes over flowed with tears; her lips trembled, as she was barely able to say, “Yes, I do.”
I wrapped my arms around my sister and cried.  I thanked God for the grace of being able to get through to my sister to ease her fears.
I hung pictures next to my sister’s bed of July’s celebration as a friendly reminder to her that heaven isn’t too far away, to let her know that she will always be loved, remembered and celebrated.

1 comment:

  1. I pray her fears about life after death are eased, and that she realizes that unbelievably as it may seem she is going someplace that surpasses even the great love you and your parents have shown her. And as for who will take care of you when she's gone. . . maybe consider reminding her that where she is going, if she gets there before any of you, she will be able to take care of her family better than she could ever do so among us.
    I'm praying for her . . . and you.

    ReplyDelete