Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Servant Song

Last night my 34-year-old sister was trying to get out of bed, she tried by slightly lifting her head off her pillow and slowly motioned her left slender pale arm off her bed.  She had such determination in her eyes that it ripped right through my heart as I sat right next to her bed. Stroking her hair I kept asking her “What’s going Kido?”  I knew that her attempts were in vain because of  her fight with MS is getting even more aggressive and is  starting to deteriorate her body.  Over and over again my sister tried and with every failed attempt, tears would roll down her cheeks as her lips trembled.  When she realized that she could not to get out of bed, her entire body started to shake as if she was having a spasm.  I jumped up and said” Calm down Kido, I’ m here with you and you aren’t alone.  Everything is going to be okay”.  I had to give my sister some medication to calm her down.  It felt like forever for the medication to kick in and I kept stroking her hair and wiping her tears away until she finally calmed down.
 She wanted so desperately to get out of bed that night.  My sister probably was willing to run so fast and not look back.  As I wiped the last tear of the night, I looked into her eyes and ask to her” You wanted to run, didn’t you?  Run and not look back. Right?”  She looks at me and whispered, “Yes.”   Then I said” But you can’t can you?”  Her lips trembled and meekly said “No.”  I said, “I know Mamas, I can’t imagine what you must be feeling right now”.  And I took her hand and kissed it, then I made a promise to her.   ” I know we weren't  close growing up and didn’t  have too much in common.  But I love you Kido!  Let me be your legs and I will run for you, let me be your arms and I will carry you, let me be your hands and I will hold you.  Is that okay?"   I know now what my purpose in my life is and it is to be here, here for you.  To be here for mom and here for dad.   God knew what was going to happen to us so He put me here just for this purpose because God knows how much I love you.”  My sister and I cried together as I held her hand.   At the end of the evening my sister and I prayed the Guardian Angel prayer, I kissed her on her forehead, secured her blankets and said "Good night Kido, see you tomorrow."
  

No comments:

Post a Comment