Saturday, October 16, 2010

Just Dance

My 34 year old sister loves Janet Jackson ever since she seen her in concert.  One day I was at the mall and I bought the first volume of Janet Jackson’s greatest hits.  I would listen to it and think of my sister, as I would drive around in my car. Un knows to me, I ended up really enjoying Janet Jackson’s music. One afternoon I was keeping my sister company, as she lay in her hospital bed at home in her bedroom listening to Janet Jackson's Love Will Never Do (Without You) was the next rack to play on her CD player.  I turned to my sister and said ”Girl I love this song, dance with me!”  I pumped up the volume, sat by her side as I took hold of her hand to swayed to the beat of the music.  As I sang along, closed my eyes, shaking my head, holding on to my sister’s hand; to my surprise I turned to see my sister turning her head to the beat of the music!  I was so filled with joy that my sister was actually dancing with me I shouted, “ You go girl!  Keep on dancing!”  My sister grinned with such a smile that I could feel a rush of emotions explode! As I closed my eyes, I could feel the exhilaration of love, joy and excitement that filled the room as Janet Jackson sang. My sister is dancing!  She’s dancing!  My 34-year-old sister who is in her last stages of her battle with MS was dancing!  What kind strength is my sister made of?  What courage! As we danced, I could see her as my hero, I just was following her example of love and strength.  No matter what she was experiencing in her life, she still took the time to stop and dance!
For those few minutes I felt that my sister wasn’t dying, she wasn’t suffering but was in the moment of feeling alive, feelings of joy and happiness from a simple gesture of a dance.
At the end of the song my sister was tired and wanted to rest.  I wrapped my arms around her, kissed her cheek and thanked her for dancing with me.  I asked her if she would be willing to dance with me another day, she smiled and said” Okay.”, then closed her eyes and fell asleep.  
Thank you my Love for giving me a dance to remember for the rest of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment