Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Why is my name Mary Magdalene?




I remember one day my sister Mary Magdalene asked,       “Why did mom and dad name me Mary Magdalene?  Wasn’t she a prostitute?”  I chuckled and said, “No.  Mom and dad named you Mary Magdalene because she was the very first person to see Jesus after his resurrection from the dead. The twelve Apostles didn’t see him until later but Mary Magdalene seen him right after He left the tomb!'  Mary answered, “Truthfully?” I said, “Yep truthfully, Mamas, you have a beautiful name of a person who was the closest friend of Jesus and the first one to see him after he rose for the dead.” “Then why does everyone tell me she was a prostitute?” she asked. “It has never been proven in the bible that Mary Magdalene was actually a prostitute” I said. “Okay Emils,” Mary sighed. I knew Mary was not convinced with my answers because she questioned me again later on in the day.
“Then why can’t I find any picture, metal or statue of Mary Magdalene if she was so great?” asked Mary.
I was running out of answers and patients so I said,” Just remember at the beginning of every Easter Season, your name is mentioned every year.  The gospel always reads about how Mary Magdalene finds Jesus out of the tomb and she is so happy to see him, okay?" I said.  Mary sighed, gave a half smile and said, “Okay Emils,” I looked at my sister’s sad expression and told her, “Look Kiddo, I bet you I can find something on Mary Magdalene and when I do I will show you, okay?”  She lit up with a smile and said, ”Cool Emils! Thanks!”
 I was determined to find a medal, picture or book about Mary Magdalene.   I had the hardest time finding anything on St. Mary Magdalene.  I went to bookstores, Catholic stores but I couldn’t find at the time a medal or picture of St. Mary Magdalene.  So I called a close friend of mine and told him about my dilemma, he said, “Why don’t’ you wait and see if you find anything at the Los Angeles Catholic Archdiocese Congress.  I am sure you will find something for Mary there because there are hundreds of vendors selling all kinds of religious items.” “That is a GREAT idea!  Thanks!” I said as I hung up the phone.  On the Saturday of Congress, I went on my quest for my sister and I wasn’t coming home until I found anything on St Mary Magdalene.
It took several long hours of looking, asking and inquiring about St. Mary Magdalene with different vendors.  I almost lost hope until I passed by a vendor who sold tiles of Catholic Saints. All the saints where lined up in alphabetical order so I looked for the letter M and there I end up finding a beautiful tile of St Mary Magdalene.
She was so beautiful, she had long brown hair (just like my sister), big brown eyes (just like my sister), dressed in white and was holding a grey jar.  The jar represented the incense she used when Jesus was placed in the tomb.   I bought it and went straight home to give the tile to my sister, thanking God all the way home for helping me find such a beautiful tile of a wonderful woman.
I got home and asked my mom where was Mary, “She’s in her room, why?” asked my mom,“I have a surprise for her" I said as  I walked  down the small hallway to her bedroom.
 I knocked on her door, “Who is it?” said Mary.
“It’s me Emils and I have a surprise for you, can I come in?”
“Okay” answered Mary.  I walked in and Mary was laying down resting on her bed as she watched television.  I asked Mary to close her eyes and hold out your hands because I had a surprise to give her.  I helped Mary sit up on her bed and cautiously held out her hands and closed her eyes. “Surprise!” I yelled as I took the tile of St Mary Magdalene out of the bag and placed it in her hands. “Oh Wow Emils! You did it! You found Mary Magdalene!” yelled Mary. “Yes Mamas, I did!  I hope you like.” “I do, I do.  Thank you so much. I love it!” Mary said.
“Your welcome Mamas, now let’s see where you want to hang you tile so you can always see and remember who Mary Magdalene was and be proud that mom and dad gave you such a beautiful name, okay?” “Yeah, let’s hang it!” answered Mary.  She was smiling from ear to ear and was glad to have an image of who she was named after hanging in her bedroom. 
This is one of many, many loving memories I have of my sister Mary Magdalene Rodriguez.  Next year’s Easter Season will be a painful since my sister will not be with us, she always smiled when she heard her name mentioned in the gospel reading during the Easter Season. However, this coming Easter Season she will be smiling in heaven as her name is mentioned in the gospel reading of Jesus’s resurrection.   She will probably nudge St Mary Magdalene and say, “Look, they are talking about us!”
Over two thousands years ago Mary Magdalene was the first person to witness the resurrection of Jesus. Two thousand years later, my sister Mary Magdalene coming from twelve siblings is the first to meet our resurrected Jesus.
I miss you Mamas but I know you are okay, love you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment