Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas Shopping

 Christmas shopping was always simple for my sister Mary Magdalene.  Every year she would buy each of us  $20 gift certificates from Target. 
     “Emils, can you do me a favor?” asked Mary. 
     “What is it Mamas?” I asked. 
     “I need to go to Target, can you take me?”
     “Sure, what do you need to get?” I asked.  I knew what she was going Christmas shopping because is was a week or two before Christmas; I just wanted to see if she was going to keep it was a surprise.
     "None of your business, can you take me or not?"                          
     ” Of course Mary, what time did you want to go?”,
     “In the morning,” she said. 
     “Okay Mamas, in the morning but what time in the morning? How about nine o’clock, is that okay?”
     ” Yeah, nine is fine.” Mary smiled and said,
     “And maybe we can go to the Ihop for breakfast, what do you think?”
     “OKAY!” as Mary’s face lit up with a huge smile.  Mary loved the Ihop because her favorite dish was the rooty tooty pancakes with strawberries and whipped cream.
So the next morning Mary and I went for one of the best breakfast experiences I ever had with my sister.  
      “I love rooty tooty Emils,” said Mary as her piping hot pancakes, strawberries topped with a huge mountain of whipped cream and hot chocolate was placed in front of my sister as we had our breakfast.  Mary was always a slow eater so I know she truly enjoyed her breakfast that morning.
After breakfast we headed to Target, even though we had just had breakfast, Mary was already feeling the fatigue  due to the MS but you would never see it in her face.  As she walked back to the car, she was already starting to walk with a little of a wobble as she pushed along with her walker.
As I parked at the Target parking lot, I got off and took Mary’s walker out and set it up for as I helped her out of my car. 
     “Stay here Emils, I’ll be right back.” Mary said.
     “Oh no Kiddo, I’m going with you.” I replied. 
     “No Emils, I’ll be okay, I can do it.  I know what I want to buy and I will be right back,” answered Mary. 
As Mary took the first couples steps and her legs started to wobble as she tried to keep her balance.           “Mary, I’m going with you! Your tired Mamas from the Ihop, I don’t want you to fall,” as I started guided her walker. 
     “No Emils, I can do it, I want it to be surprise.  Don’t worry, I’ll be okay,” answered Mary.  Her eyes reflected such determination and her face filled with certainty and strength that I let go of her walker. She then whispered, “I can do it.”
It killed me to let go of her walker as she slowly wobbled into Target by herself.  I was so scared of my sister falling and no one being around to help her; I was worried that she wouldn’t find anyone to assist her if she needed help.
It felt like hours, which were only minutes as Mary finally came out of Target and stood at the entrance of the store.  
I then got out of my car and went to her,
     “Oh Emils, I forgot where we parked.” Mary said.
     “That’s okay Mamas, did you get everything you needed?” I asked. 
     “Yep,” Mary answered.
     “You okay?” “Yep,” she answered. 
     “Ready to go home?”
     “Yep,” she answered. 
     “Did you need to do any more shopping Mamas?”
     “Nope,” she answered. 
     “Okay Mamas, let’s go home,” then Mary handed me a small red and white plastic bag and her purse.  I slowly guided Mary’s walker towards my car as Mary kept a tight grip of her walker as she slowly followed.  As I helped Mary into the car she said,
     “Thanks, Emils. Can we go home? I’m tired,”
      “Yes Mamas, let’s go home.”

It’s been over four years since Mary was able to go shopping and enjoy the Ihop. She will still be celebrating Christmas with us in heaven, I wonder if she got Jesus a $20 gift certificate from Target for His birthday/Christmas present?

No comments:

Post a Comment