Sunday, December 12, 2010

New Year Eve 2009


The New Year is coming in a couple of weeks and I guess we will welcome it in without my sister Mary Magdalene.  However, even though we know that she will always be with us in spirit, it doesn’t ease the pain of loss.
On New Year Eve last year my dad did something that was so NOT my dad; he came home with a pack of party favors and a bottle of champagne to celebrate and welcome the up coming of the new year.  My mom and dad just usually make menudo and go to be before midnight. However, on New Year’s Eve of 2009, my dad wanted to make sure we were all up and welcomed in the New Year as a family.  As my dad placed the shopping bags on the dinning room table, he turned and seen that Mary was in the living room sitting quietly on her light blue lift chair watching television.
      “Are you ready to party Mary?” he asked.
      “Yeah dad, I am,” answered Mary. 
      “Good! Because we are going to party together!” my dad said with a smile.
Surprisingly, my sister Mary Magdalene was with us until midnight.  My parents, Mary and I all watched and waited for the Dick Clark Countdown, as we wore party hats, held horn makers and waited for the champagne as it was chilling in the refrigerator.  My sister Mary Magdalene sat on a beige lift chair and wore her purple Eeyore sweatshirt, light blue sockies and matching Eeyore pajama bottoms. Waiting patiently, we all did the counted down together
     “Five, four, three, two one….Happy New Year!!” we all shouted as we watched the ball fall and welcomed in 2010.
I popped the champagne and started to pour into the champagne glass, my dad kissed my mom as Mary tried with all her might to blow on her horn maker.
      “Blow harder Mija!” said my dad as he held Mary’s horn maker firmly to Mary’s mouth.  Mary wore a silver party hat that matched her horn maker to boot!
     “HHonkk!” went Mary’s horn and we all cheered,
     ”Yeah Mamas!  You did it!  Honk it again,” Mary took a deep breath and then,
     “hhHonkkk!” went Mary’s horn.
      “I’m tired of honking,” Mary said and we all cheered for her, it was a great way for all of us to bring in the New Year.  I popped the champagne and started to pour it into champagne glass; then my dad made the toast,
     ” I just want to thank everyone for staying up and celebrating as a family.  God willing we will all be together same time next year.  I love you all,” as his voice cracked with emotions.
      ” Happy New Year!”  we all cheered as we rose our glasses together for the toast.
      ” Ugh! This stuff is gross!” Mary sipped the champagne, made a sour face as we all smiled and laughed together.  I took her glass then I gave her the biggest hug and said, “Happy New Year Mamas, I love you so much. I’ll give you some juice instead of champagne.” “Thanks Emils,” answered Mary.
 I will always keep this memory in my heart and when I think about how we celebrated New Year’s 2009, it will always brings a smile on my face.  Just a note to my sister Mary Magdalene: “Happy New Years Mamas, I know heaven is timeless but you can still be with us when we welcome the New Year 2011. I love you and miss you much.” Love Emils

1 comment:

  1. How blessed to have shared such a memorable and festive new year's eve with your sister. And for all the forces that came together to make it happen. . . be ever grateful!

    ReplyDelete