Monday, December 27, 2010

The Dream



I had a dream on Christmas morning that I will never forget.
In my dream I was in the back yard of my parent’s home pulling weeds.  It was a vibrant sunny day and I wore my big straw gardening hat to help shield my eyes from the bright sunlight, old jeans and sneakers with an oversize white tee shirt that originally belonged to my dad and an old pair of gardening gloves.   I was on my knees as I was pulling the weeds out of my mom’s Iris flowerbed, when I notice something very peculiar.  As I looked to my right side, just a few inches away from my right knee was a very large cocoon.  I quickly got off my knees and jumped back because I have never seen a cocoon so large in my life! At first I thought it was a piece of dead snakeskin but it wasn’t hollow, something was inside side it but I couldn’t make it out. As I stood up and bent over to give it a better look at it, I was ready to run in case anything came out that was going to sting me.  I noticed how ugly it looked; it had a  yellowish and almost a goopy green color to it.  It was about three to four inches long and it looked about a quarter of an inch in diameter.  “Ugh! What an ugly cocoon! I guess what ever was in it died.” I thought to myself so I walked over and got Penny old poop scooper to throw the cocoon in the green trashcan that we used for gardening.

I walked up to the cocoon ready to scoop it up, when it started to move!  I jump back and dropped Penny’s scooper ready to run away but keeping my eyes fixed on the huge cocoon.  The cocoon started to move and roll around and after a few seconds, I was able to make out an image of a Monarch Butterfly fighting it’s way out of the cocoon.  I stood there frozen as the huge wings of orange, white specks, black trim and yellow dots broke out of the cocoon.  Then the massive  black legs and body followed and after a few seconds of struggle it was free.
I stood in amazement of what I just witnessed as the Monarch Butterfly just started to circle around me with it’s massive wing span.  As it circled around me, the feelings of peace and love just consumed me.  I felt safe and secured that nothing was going to hurt me as this immense creature filled with such beauty and grace flew around me.  Then suddenly, the Monarch Butterfly hovered in front of my face as if it was saying goodbye and flew away.  I watch it fly away into the brilliant clear blue sky until it was no longer in my sight; then I woke up from the dream.
Everything seemed so quite and peaceful as I opened my eyes and realized that it was all a dream. 
This morning I felt the peace that I have long to feel since my sister's passing in October of this year.
I am grateful that my sister came to visit me in the wee of the morning in such a unique dream  just to reassure my mind and heart that she is fine; Mary wants to me to continue with life as she continues living our Lord in heaven. To be brave, strong and continue to love her as she continues to love us in heaven and even though she is out of  our sight, she will always be in our hearts and minds.  I love you Mamas!

No comments:

Post a Comment