Sunday, November 14, 2010

See You Later Mamas

I remember accompanying my parents to the parish rectory to start the planning of Mary's funeral mass.
We talk with the Parish Life Director and went over many details of how many different ways a funeral mass can be celebrated.  We knew as a family that we did not want to dwell on death but focus on Jesus's resurrection.
I remember the Life Director asking me if I had a letter written about my sister.  I thought, "A letter?  It was hard enough to come here in the first place with my parents and you are asking me about a letter?"
I answered, "No, I haven't really given it much thought, it's hard enough seeing my sister in the state she is in and for me to write a letter is too overwhelming for me right now."  The Life Director just smiled at me and said, "Well maybe you might want to think about it later,"  
After the meeting as we were driving home, I thought about what impact my sister had made in my life and I couldn't believe that I had never thanked her.  So, when I go home I when straight to my bedroom and started to write.  It wasn't hard at all for me to pour out my feeling, I just didn't want to confront the pain or the thought of losing her.  After I finished writing, I walked down the hallway to read it to her.  However, as I got closer to my sister's bedroom, my eyes filled with tears, my throat got dried up and I turned right back down the hallway to my bedroom and cried.  I couldn't to it, I couldn't read to my sister the letter I wrote to her.  So for several weeks through out the days and weeks that passed all my attempts in reading this thank you letter to my sister failed. 
At the funeral mass of my sister, I mustered  up the courage and read my thank you letter to my sister.  At the end, I am glad I was able to do it because I knew she is in a better place and can still hear what I wanted to say to her….



Thank you Mary Magdalene for teaching me the true meaning of love,

Thank you for being our sister,

Thank you for sharing your tears and laughter,

Thank you for giving me an opportunity to serve God in a way I could not ever had imagine, it's made me into being a better person,

Thank you for your patience, kindness and consideration towards me as I learned how to tend to all your needs,

Thank you for teaching me the meaning of companionship as you and mom would play the Wii in the wee early mornings.

Thank you for helping mom as you and her would go on your daily driving adventures to Wal-Mart, Jack In The Box or visiting dad while he was healing from his fall,

Thank you for allowing me to change and bath you; you taught me how to be humble and never take anything for granite,

Thank you for being a good listener as you sat quietly and listened to dad tell his stories,

Because of you, my life will never be the same.  I believe that you are truly happy and no longer suffering and now you are truly free.

So why am I sad?  Because I miss you Mamas, you changed my life with out me ever realizing it.  I know my love for you will always be in my heart and mind,

I am so grateful that God loves us so much that He sent his only Son to destroy death for ever,

So while you are looking down from heaven, please know that I am looking up,
knowing that one day we will see each other again.

I love you Mary, I always have and I always will.

See you later Mamas

No comments:

Post a Comment