Sunday, April 17, 2011

Mary's Traditional Easter Dish

Every Easter my sister Mary Magdalene would make a Easter tray of  goodies and every year we would eat the candy she placed on her tray.  It had all kinds of Easter theme candy but Mary's favorite were the marshmallow Peeps.  She loved Peeps and every year she looked forward in making her tray and sharing it with her family.
She would place plastic green grass has her base on a tray and lay the chocolate foil eggs and pastel color jelly beans and Peeps all around the grass filling the tray.  She would have my dad or I drive her to a Target so she could get all her supplies of candy and Peeps in order to make her Easter Tray.
On Palm Sunday we would come back from church and my sister would ask,
     "Can someone take me to Target so I can get my tray ready for next Sunday?"
     "Sure Mija, I'll take you," said dad
     "Thanks Pops, I need to buy my stuff for Easter," said Mary
 So my dad and Mary would head to Target and come back home with bags full of Easter candy.  As they walked into the house my mom said,
     "Oh! I see somebody is ready for Easter,"
     "Yep!" Mary replied wearing a smile from ear to ear as she headed to her bedroom for a nap.  Shopping was always fun for Mary but after shopping she would always need a nap to regain her strength.
On Easter morning, after we came back from church and my mom and I were busy in the kitchen working on our Easter ham, Mary would go into her bedroom and come out with Easter candy  and grass ready to make her Easter tray.
     "Mary, you gonna make your Easter tray?" I asked
     "Yep," said Mary
     "Do you need any help with it?" asked my mom
     "Nope" answered Mary
I think my mom was trying to help my sister so she could try to sneak a candy or two from Mary.
      "Okay Mamas, but if you need any help, just let us know and we will help you," I said
      "That's okay, I don't need any help; I like to make this by myself," said Mary
You can hear all the candy being spilled over the dining room table and the crumbling of the green plastic grass coming out of the bag.  We would already have the tray out for Mary so she could start making her Easter master piece.
So in a few minutes, my mom and I would hear,
      "I'm finished!  Do you guys want to see it?" ask Mary
     "Of course we do Mary, bring it over," said Mom
Mary would carefully stand up and place the Easter tray in her walker and roll it towards us so we could see what she had done,
      "It's beautiful Mija!" exclaimed mom
      "Yeah Kiddo, it look good enough to eat," I said
Mary would gleam with pride and placed the tray in the middle of the dinning room table, and that would be our center piece for our Easter feast.
    This year will be the first year that Mary will be celebrating Easter with us from heaven.  This year I will be making the Easter tray in her memory and my heart at time feels so heavy with grief because I miss her so much.  My parents and I are going to give Mary flowers and will add some different color Peeps on wood skewers and add them in the flower bouquet because we all know how much Mary loved her Peeps.
Note to Mary: I know Mamas you are in heaven and I will make your Easter tray because I know that is what you would want us to do.  I love you, I miss you but because Christ rose on the third day and destroyed death forever, I will see you again.  Happy Easter Mamas love Emils!

  

  
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment