Monday, April 11, 2011

Beautiful Surprise






     On March 22, 2011 we received a letter in the mail from the Arcadia Mental Health Center.  My sister Mary Magdalene went there on a monthly bases after her nervous break down when she was diagnosed with MS, she went for monthly counseling and medication.   However, it was odd for us to receive a letter from the center since Mary passes away on October 29, 2010.    The letter was from the Clinical Program Head and it notified us that an employee who worked with Mary Magdalene in the Creative Minds group was changing positions and as she was getting ready to transfer, she found some painting that were done by my sister Mary Magdalene.  The Creative Minds group was a support group for women with mental illnesses and would make all kinds of art and craft items.  This is the group that got Mary to make her priceless bracelets and go on an occasional field trip.
     Part of the letter read, "These paintings are a beautiful creations that reflect Mary's artistry and wonderful spirit."  the paintings were going to be kept in Mary's councilor's office and invited us to pick them up.
Needless to say that when we read this letter, I shot out of our home and speeded right down to the center to retrieve the paintings in my parent's car.  As I drove to Arcadia, I felt the the car couldn't go fast enough and if I was able to fly, I know I would have flew.
     When I got to the center, I parked the car, walked in through the metal detector and went directly to the front desk.
     "May I help you?" asked the receptionist,
     "Yes, I am the sister of Mary Magdalene Rodriguez who was a patient here, we received a letter
       today informing us that two paintings that were done by my sister  and they are here, may I have them?"
I then proceeded to show her the letter we received in  the mail,  the young woman
read it and said,
       "I will go and check to see where I can find her paintings, if I find them I will give them to you,"
       "Thank you very much," I said
A few minutes later, the woman came with to painting and handed them over to me,  I looked at them in awe and started to cry.
       "They are pretty, very colorful," said the receptionist.  
       "Yes, they are; I can't wait to show them to my parents; thank you for your time," I said.
       "Your welcome, have a nice day," smiled the receptionist.
I walked out with the painting and speeded back home; as I drove up the drive way of our home, I looked down at the painting and said,
        "Welcome home Mamas!"
I walked into the house and my mom and dad were waiting patiently,
         "Let's see them, how do they look?" asked dad
As I displayed them to my parents, I could see the joy in their eyes,
         "Their beautiful!  What a beautiful surprise!" said my mom
The paintings are now framed and are ready to be display at home, it's nice to know that Mary had so many talents that we are able to cherish them forever; we are also thankful to the Arcadia Mental Health Center for notifying us about these painting.



No comments:

Post a Comment