Friday, September 24, 2010

A Memory that is permanently in my heart

     Mary Magdalene loved enjoyed some chili cheese fries with a raspberry ice tea, watching game shows and singing. Buying an order of chili cheese fries from The Hat is were my sister enjoyed them the most.  Game shows are a tradition in my family and my mom and sister always enjoyed watching them together.  You could hear my sister scream with excitement when a contestant on a game show would win cash or prizes.
     At first, my sister's cheering it would get on my nerves.  I would mumble under my breath "You don't know the contestants, why are you yelling?".   I didn't take the time to understand what was all the excitement all about because I just didn't want to take the time to ask.
Until one day, my sister yelled with excitement at the top of her lungs when a contestant won a car on the Price is Right.  I hurried  into the living room to find my sister yelling" They won a car mom, they won a car!"  I looked at her and said" Why do you care? You don't even know these people!"  My sister kept looking at  the television and with the biggest grin said "I know, I'm just happy for them."  The excited expression on her face shined with such delight and joy to that it was enough to to make me stop and think,  " Who was I to tell my sister whom she should be excited or happy for?"  I looked at her then looked at the contestant jumping up and down with enthusiasm and said "That's true, I guess I would be happy for them too."  as I started to feel the energy Mary was bringing into the room. My sister taught me a lesson that day, sometimes the simplest things can bring to you happiness even if the it's not your own.
     This memory was about three years ago, Mary's voice is now silenced due to her battle with MS.  How much do my ears ache to hear my sister's scream of excitement, words can not express how I feel.  Game show will never be the same but I still watch them with my sister at home.  
Now, I am the voice that yells when a contestant wins a prize as I hold my sister hand while we watch game show with our mom.  I just want my sister to know that I will be cheering for the both of us and I hope she is cheering with me.

1 comment: